Monday, November 17, 2008

SNES Controller on DS Lite mod





I really, really want to play my DS Lite with a SNES controller. I have a couple lying around, and hard-wiring to the mobo wouldn't be that hard.

I vaguely remember someone talking about hooking up a NES controller to the DS, so it must be possible then.

Checked out acidmods.com and found a pin out pic of the DS mobo.
Was a very detailed pic and showed me all the connection points on the pcb, great!

Hard wired some long bits of wire to all of the points, I really must get that tiny wire from the shops, I believe it is called AGW30 or something like that. For now, this 0.12mm hobby hookup wire will have to do.

Turns out the wire sucked. While it is the smallest you can buy before AGW30, once you start using more than 2 wires, it starts getting chunky in there. Problem is, the bottom LCD is pressing down on it way too hard. Still works though.

The plan was to wire the SNES controller to the GBA Dust cover, and hard-wire the DS mobo points to the GBA slot so I can unplug the SNES controller if I want.


Well, turns out the GBA slot will no longer function with this mod. Even though not much was changed, the GND stops the GBA slot from working. SNES controller + GBA games would be awesome, so I will have to also look at modding a GBA with SNES Controller to play also.

Put it all back together, and learnt the hard way that you have to make sure you position the power button and sliding volume control correctly before you click the case back together. Had to undo all the freakin tight screws to ensure the power and volume was fine, and then put it back together.

It works! Was quite amazed that the first time ever I opened up a DS Lite, I didn't screw it to hell. I was more surprised that it still turns on. Thought I would have shorted that sucker but it worked out Ok. ;)

After play testing, SNES controller on DS Lite is FREAKIN AWESOME!! I could not imagine a more comfortable controller mod! As the Snes gamepad is wayyy lighter than the DS, and has more responsive buttons than the DS, it is an absolute dream for Mario Kart and Castlevania!

I recommend this mod to every SNES fan!

Excuse me, but the race on Rainbow Road is about to begin...

No comments: